Sunday, January 4, 2009

Living Water



While on my daily morning walk that last few days, my attention has been drawn to the sounds of the water flowing over the rocks in the small creek that runs near our house. The unique thing about this creek (properly pronounced "crick" where I grew up) is that it never freezes over and never quits flowing. You see, it originates from a spring back in the trees, so it gives continual water up from underground at a constant temperature (which by the way is usually the same as the mean annual air temperature: around 56 degrees in El Dorado).


I often walk in the dark, so when I walk over the little bridge, I can only hear the water. I still know it's there, though. (Just because I can't see it doesn't mean it's not there, right?)


This reminds me of the parallel between the Holy Spirit and living water. Remember the passage in John 4 & 7 where Jesus refers to His Spirit as living water? He said that it becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within you, giving you eternal life. (Is that cool, or what?)


I offer a challenge to you. When you see or hear water, meditate on these passages. If you don't know what it's like to have the living water within you, seek out a friend, Pastor, or contact me. We'd be glad to share that living water with you.


I'll leave you with a few pictures of the spring fed creek near our house. Enjoy, and have a great week!
The warm water in the creek never freezes.

Cardinal Flowers bloom in the pool of the creek fed by the spring.

2 comments:

Kevin F. said...

Good post. Reminds me of the song "I've got a river of Life flowing out of me. Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see. Opens prisons doors, sets the captives free. I've got a river of Life flowing out of me."

May your soul and your spirit be like that spring, always moving and never drying up!!

P.R.JUST said...

You guys (You, Todd and Kevin) keep giving me good sermon material.