Saturday, January 17, 2009

Are We Listening?


Our Sunday School lesson last week was on listening to God. Now, if you're like me, sometimes I, not a very good listener. But when we were getting ready to leave, I asked the class to really listen to the Lord this week and come back and share their experiences. (That way we all could be encouraged and edified by the experience.)

Ex. #1: Well, I had prayed that I would be open to God's will for me and that I would obey, but you know - often we think it will probably be the other guy. It wasn't!

My supervisor and I were coming back from K.C. on the Turnpike, and we passed a car that was broke down on the side of the road. There were two girls outside of the car as we passed. I felt that we should turn around, so we did. Long story short.....the girls were headed back to school in California and the car was causing problems. We were able to get them started and followed them to a repair shop that I knew of in El Dorado where we always take our vehicles.

The girls were very grateful; I'm sure one of them was a Christian by the way she talked, which made me feel even better.

Ex. #2: I had been burdened with the sickness of an acquaintance of ours through our Church. Our S.S. class wanted to help them out in some way but we didn't know how and what the status of our "brother" was. I was able to obtain the cell phone number of the brother's wife and caught her in the grocery store. I told her that we were wondering how they were and if we could possibly help them in any way. She was so moved that I thought she was going to cry over the phone. She told me that she had been praying for help to see how she was going to handle this coming week, as our brother was needing to go to the doctor in K.C. and she was going to be tied up with her oldest daughter who just had a baby the day that I was calling her. Also, she was burdened with the fact that her grandson was receiving chemotherapy and all of the other aspects of life. (Wow!) I told her we were there for her and we would do whatever it took to help her.

If that isn't answered prayer on both sides, I'll eat my hat! But should I have been surprised? The Bible tells us when we pray to be prepared and expect answers. Yup! Awesome!

If you've got a story about hearing from the Lord, I'd like to hear it and maybe even pass it on to our S.S. class for their edification. Hey, you never know when God's going to give you that Elijah-type whisper or a little tugging at your heart! But when he does, go for it!! You and others will be blessed!

No comments: