Thursday, April 30, 2009

Every Day is Easter

Cut off Catalpa tree stump.

I thought it might be time to start up the ole' blog again. I took a short sabbatical around Easter, so I could keep up with everything else. Thanks for the faithful readership (both of you! Ha!??)

As I was walking down by the creek a while back, I noticed that someone had come in and cut down my favorite tree that stood near the road and the creek bank. It was a Catalpa tree. To some of you, that name may not mean anything or be familiar to you. My brothers and I used to call it an elephant ear tree because of it's huge, elephant ear-like leaves. Anyway, these trees are native to Kansas and they bloom a brilliant white flower in early summer. Now, nothing is left of that tree but the stump. I don't blame anyone, and I really don't know who to blame anyhow.

But that incident caused me to start thinking, especially since Easter was still on my mind. It brought about the correlation of this tree and the life of our Lord Jesus Christ. Like Christ, this tree was a beautiful specimen. It was living what some would call a perfect life. It had a great future. But then, the tree was cut down. It was really causing no harm and was giving others joy. The parallels are interesting. Both Jesus and the tree were killed by man.

The difference, though, is that Jesus died and then came back to life after three days. (The tree's life is over.) And for believers, Jesus offers an eternity with Him, with no more sorrow, sickness, or pain. What a cool deal, huh? We've got a saying at our church that states, "Every Day is Easter!"

New Catalpa tree planted in our yard. (Happy Easter)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back. I've been missing your insights.

Jim